It is with great sadness that we learnt of the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, who served the country with devotion over the past 70 years. On behalf of the people of Stoke Fleming Parish we wish to convey to the Royal Family our deepest sympathy at this sad time.
A period of 10 days state mourning will take place from today. Details of the funeral will follow on the royal website. www.royal.uk/ During this period, the following arrangements are in place within the Parish:
- The Captain of the Bell Tower will toll the Church bell to mark the passing of Her Majesty.
- The Union Flag will be flown at half-mast until the day after the funeral.
- A book of condolence has been placed in the lobby of St Peter’s Church for people to pay their respects. Please bring your own pen.
- Flowers can be laid around the war memorial in the churchyard and will also be laid from the Parish Council on behalf of the community. Please take care not to place these onto the steps. Also please remove the cellophane wrapper before laying and dispose of this at home.
- On the morning after the state funeral, the flowers will be removed and composted down; the compost will be used to plant a commemorative tree. A letter will also be sent to the Private Secretary at Buckingham Palace, advising that the book of condolence will be held in the Parish Council’s archives.
- Condolence notices will be posted at the Village Hall, the Post Office and on the parish council notice board.
- The church will announce details of any special services – please check the church notice boards at the gates.
A national online condolence e-book from the Palace website at www.royal.uk/ where residents can share their respects. However, if you do not have access to technology, or someone to help you complete the online condolence book, one of SHDC’s officers will do this on your behalf. Please telephone 01803 861100 and leave your message on the answerphone. If residents would like to show their respects rather than leave flowers, we would encourage them to donate to charity.
Stoke Fleming Parish Council